Two things I have decided I will never get too old for!
One of the things I loved about college was that there was always someone around. Someone to go to lunch with, workout with, just hang out with, get ready with... I was almost never alone, and I loved it!! When I moved into a house with 5 other girls off-campus it was a little different than the dorms, but still all 6 of us were together quite a bit. We would all watch Desperate Housewives together on Sunday nights after all our meeting were over, and inevitably someone would end up getting "SHHHH!!!!" d for talking during the show. Or we'd all sit in the living room to type our papers on our laptops together; sometimes one of us would even be doing homework in the middle of one of our house parties.
Last weekend my cousin stayed the night with me while J was gone, & it so took me back to those good old college days! We laid around, watched tv, chatted away and did the same the next morning. Nothing beats girl talk & lazing around. It made me remember how nice it is to have someone to share comments with during a show; usually when I get a chance to watch one of my shows it is alone or J is at the other tv & I will be giggling away by myself & he's yelling "Who are you talking to in there??!" Sometimes you just want someone to go "WTF was that?!" or "Can you believe that!?" J wants to hear about my shows about as much as I want to hear about the latest update on Sports Center.
Then I think of all the silly fights about who got drunk, came home at 2 AM and kept everyone else up, or who ate whose fish sticks or who was slacking on their chores, and I think life is easier with just a house of 3! But, we did have lots of fun and it was nice to get a little taste of that as a full fledged "adult".
Speaking of being an adult, do you ever quit needing your parents? I don't think so. Once a week when J has team dinner I take P to my mom's for dinner. It beats sitting at home just the 2 of us. One of the things I struggled with the most when P was born was feeling isolated and not getting out enough. It was so hot the summer she was born that sometimes I would go several days without leaving the house. It was so depressing and not what I was used to. Everyone else was working, busy, out feeling validated in the world while I was trying to get a newborn to sleep and get some sleep myself. Once you are married and have a child of your own, you really feel more accountable and your energy is more spent taking care of your own family, so it's nice to be taken care of once in a while still!
So I guess I'm going backwards & turning into a kid again, but I'm enjoying it!
.
No comments:
Post a Comment