Thursday, February 23, 2012

Why I'm Proud to be Married to a Coach

Well, basketball season officially ended for my husband and his team last night after losing in the 2nd game of regionals.  However he does still have some shooters that progressed in the 3 point competition!  There are so many things that can be difficult or stressful during seasons, but let's end on a positive note.  I wouldn't change it for the world and here is why, looking back as we wrap things up, that I'm proud to have a coach as my husband:

*The passion and committment he has for the game and for improving his team in inspirational

*Seeing his knowledge and ability to make up plays and know what is needed when (regardless of the team's not-always-there execution ahem sorry guys ;) ) and over the years recognizing that this is his calling

*His confidence on the court

*I am proud that he does something he loves

*Watching his relationship with the team whether motivating his players, giving one of them a suit who couldn't afford it, or driving his manager home after every practice.  I can see he really cares.

*Seeing how the kids really respect him but goof off with him too.  We have a basketball on top of our computer desk signed by all the players, and getting thank you's from after graduation, is pretty rewarding.

*Watching him be a good role model to his team and those around him by behaving appropriately and not getting T'd at games, teaching them honesty, responsibility & work ethic, and just through his everyday life & morals

*How happy it makes him when P & I show up at a game

*Watching him change over the years and grow from yelling A TON, to yelling but not so much that he is hoarse with a headache after every game anymore :)  And hearing the praise he gives the kids which not everyone pays attention to

*His humility and recognizing that even if they lose, they may have played their hearts out and that winning isn't the only goal in coaching.

*His attitude whether they win or lose. He doesn't bring home the bad games. 

*His willingness to learn and try new things

*How he involves our family in the community and in the things he does, I'm sure our daughter will always remember her times spent in the gym cheering for dad's team, and I think those are precious memories that all coach's children will have.  How cool to be able to watch your daddy at work every week!  As a book title calls them, "Gym Rats", and I'm okay with that! 

Hope everyone had a great season with your coaches, I know I am going to enjoy our "down time" which for some of you might be another fun sports filled spring season.  For us, we rest, until August :)

No comments:

Post a Comment