Thursday, January 19, 2012

Winter Carseat Safety

Oh how I hate winter! I have had a hard time figuring out the best way to bundle up P in the cold weather so that she will be safe but still warm in her car seat.  It was so much easier last year when I could just put the cozy cover over her infant seat & carry the whole thing in, with no cold air getting in to her!
I tried her poofy coat and pulling the coat out around the harness but I still could not get the harness tight enough.  Then my sister-in-law's friend reminded me of the poncho we have that they made her last year.  I am now using it, and put it on either before putting P in the seat or after, then if we have a longer walk I put her winter coat on after she is out of the seat (like when we got from my car to the Y--it's always sooo bitterly cold & windy out there!)  It's still kind of a pain in the ass, but, that is winter in the midwest, and it should hopefully only be a couple months or so more of this bitter cold so it is worth it! 

Here is some info on the dangers of having thick poofy coats or snowsuits on in car seats. The videos were such an eye-opener to me, I wouldn't have probably even known about it but there was a lot of car seat info on my birth board online:

http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/109699/6_tips_for_winter_car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDhng9hvjlI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5AwtaQnNO8&feature=related

Also while on the subject of car seats,  I have gotten quite a few questions lately about rear-facing and when to turn them around, including from my husband :)  Here are some links to that as well--also an update, one video says 20 lbs or 1 year but the current AAP's new recommendation is 2 years and 30 lbs at least.  As someone who has been in a head-on crash (while pregnant) I know that it can happen to me and will never take a chance, our car seat can rear-face to 40 pounds and forward up to 70 lbs.  That being said, I tend to err on the side of overly-cautious and luckily most car seats are very safe these days & do a very good job at preventing serious injuries positioned either way as long as they are correctly installed ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo



Oh, and here is a picture of P in her poncho in the car!



No comments:

Post a Comment